Hi everyone! I hope you have all had a great month and a lovely start to Autumn.
As you may know, Mental Health awareness day was on Saturday 10th October. With everything that has been going on in the world this year, it’s more important than ever that we are kind to our minds.
‘Easier said than done’, I hear you say?
There really are many ways we can be kind to our minds. Here are just a few…
• Check in with yourself every night, write down three things that you are grateful for from your day (no matter how small it may seem).
• Make time each day that is just for you. Whether that be reading a chapter of a book, going for a walk or dancing! Think about the things that feel good for the soul and will allow you to recharge your batteries.
• Surround yourself with people who make you feel good! Avoiding those ‘energy vampires’ in your life is so important for our mental health. It’s been shown that socialising helps ward off the winter blues. Make an effort to keep in touch with people you care about.
• Don’t bottle your emotions, talk to someone you trust. There is lots of help out there for mental health too, talk to your GP or ask a friend or family member to call them on your behalf if you feel unable to. You are not alone!
• Smile at strangers! Yes, really. This is not only a great way to make others feel good, it is also a wonderful way to bring joy to our own little world too. A smile goes a long way! So next time you see that neighbour down the road, or you walk past a bus stop with a queue of people waiting in the rain… be sure to flash those lovely teeth of yours!! (Or if you’re wearing a mask, maybe practice the art of a ‘smeyes’ …. Smiling with the eyes, it really is a thing… haha).
• Be active in any way that feels good for you! Exercise should never feel like a chore, so find that form of exercise that brings you joy. For many of you who come to ‘On Broadway’® Dance Fitness classes, I know that this is your way of keeping active. I also know that many of us love to get out into the countryside too! Whatever it may be, get moving and releasing those feel-good endorphins.
What have I done to be kind to my mind this month?
I feel so lucky to live as close as I do to this gorgeous view (pictured above). I find that going on walks is perfect for clearing my head and getting some perspective. Ok, maybe it’s not the most ideal when it’s pouring with rain, but on an autumnal sunny day like the day I took this picture it is just what the doctor ordered! Who else loves to get out into the countryside?
I have also had some lazy Sunday mornings to recharge my batteries for the weeks ahead! I think we should all take a leaf out of Mabel’s book, she’s definitely got the right idea….
On Saturday, I went out for food and drinks in Kelham Island with some of our fabulous instructor team.
It was great to get together and have a bit of fun, lots of giggles and (of course) unlimited prosecco!
Love the smiles in this pic:
It’s been another lovely month of dancing online and in person at our covid-secure venues. We are now in week two of our NEW ‘Singing In The Rain’ routine to ‘Good Morning’! We also have more brand NEW ‘On Broadway’® Dance Fitness choreography coming your way over the next two months which I can’t wait for you to see.
Have a great October and whatever you do, don’t forget to be kind to your mind.
See you soon!
Katy and the ‘On Broadway’® Dance Fitness team x